Gut Health & Probiotics During Pregnancy & Breastfeeding.
If you’ve been following me for a while, you’ll know that gut health has always been very important to me, and over the last 12-18 months, I’ve learned a lot about the microbiome which is the good bacteria that live in our gut (and in other places too), and have made a real effort to look after my gut health.
Our microbiome plays an important role in supporting our own immune and digestive health. This is one of the reasons it’s great to look after it, whether you’re pregnant or not!
I’ve always taken a probiotic to support my gut health, but once I fell pregnant, I found it harder to find one that was designed specifically for pregnancy. So, when Life-Space asked me to work with them, I jumped at the opportunity as they have exactly that!
ABOUT LIFE-SPACE PREGNANCY & BREASTFEEDING:
Life-Space Probiotic for Pregnancy & Breastfeeding helps support a healthy microbiome - that’s all the good bacteria that lives in us and on us. One of the main ways they may help is by encouraging good bacterial diversity in our gut, which in turn supports our general health and wellbeing.
Life-Space Probiotic for Pregnancy & Breastfeeding contains Lactobacillus fermentum CECT 5716 and Bifidobacterium breve CECT 7263, which are both isolated from human breast milk.
Lactobacillus fermentum CECT 5716 may help to relieve or reduce breast pain and discomfort associated with mastitis.
I was also very interested to read that one of the probiotic strains in the formula, Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001, may help reduce the risk of young children with a family history developing eczema when it’s taken during pregnancy, breastfeeding and then given to bub for the first two years of life.
The Life-Space formula contains 15 different strains of beneficial bacteria and is vegetarian friendly. What I personally love is that you don’t have to keep them in the fridge, so they can be easily transported; perfect for me as we do a lot of travelling with our businesses.
I’m so excited to be able to recommend a probiotic specifically for my Mummy readers who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Because we care for those we love best when we look after ourselves first, I’ve listed some other tips to support your gut health and general wellbeing while pregnant:
- Cutting down on processed food.
- Cutting down or removing highly processed sugar foods, which can irritate the stomach.
- Eating some fermented foods, such as sauerkraut or drinking kombucha each day. These are high in good bacteria, but always avoid unpasteurized dairy during pregnancy (Please speak to your OB about this if you have concerns about eating or drinking fermented foods).
- Eating organic meats and vegetables where you can to cut down on the intake of extra toxins.
- Eat a diet high in green leafy vegetables.
- Regular exercise keeps your digestive system working efficiently and supports normal healthy bowel movements.
- Reducing stress during pregnancy can also have a positive effect on your gut health. Meditating, reading, walking, yoga, eating well and taking time for yourself can help reduce stress levels.
- Keeping up your daily fiber intake.
- Keep up your Vitamin D levels.
For more info on Life-Space Probiotics during pregnancy head to their WEBSITE: (https://www.lifespaceprobiotics.com/probioticsandpregnancy/ )
This blog post is part of a collaboration with Life-Space Probiotics, but I would never promote a product I don’t love and use myself.
Always read the label. Use only as directed. If symptoms persist consult your healthcare practitioner. Seek prompt medical advice if the breast is red, hot and tender and/or if flu‐like symptoms with a fever are present. For mastitis, take 3 capsules daily.